Friday, December 6, 2019

Iain Andrew McDougall

   This is my brother Andrew , he was born on the 6th December 1953 in Cremorne (Sydney) and he had a very difficult and short life.

Our parents separated when he was only nine and he never saw our Father again, our Step Father hated him (and me) and we were treated like dirt.

Then he was sent to St Stanislaus College as a boarder even though we lived in Bathurst and   when he was expelled from there when he was only 16  my Step Father kicked him out of home. He went to live with relatives in Sydney where he did confide to our cousin about his mistreatment at the hands of Priests at Stannies .

Although we suspected the same and I think he did try and convince Mum its only since Therese told me what Andrew said to her which is quite confronting when you are only 16 as she was and of course her parents  being staunch Catholics just did not believe it.

I know when the news broke about the abuse at Stannies Aunty Kath was still alive (mum had died by then) and her comment was "Oh Andrew must have been telling the truth then!" which led me to believe that Mum must have told Aunty Kath what Andrew had said.

Andrew then sadly went off the rails and became addicted to drugs and alcohol and died in September 1977 before his 23 rd birthday , he is one of the many victims of the Church who couldn't live with their abuse .

Rest in Peace little brother.

1 comment:

Pennie said...

Oh Christine,this is so so so sad, my heart goes out to you and your cute brother.